Adam Kokesh has called for an open carry march on Washington, D.C. as an act of civil disobedience. Basically what he wants to do is to push back against the government and stand up for Second Amendment rights. The local authorities are obviously not supportive, as this video shows.
At 0:26 in the video, Cathy Lanier, the Chief of Police for Washington, D.C., describes civil disobedience. She is under the impression that civil disobedience is mere protesting, but that violating the law is not included in civil disobedience. Obviously she doesn’t know what she is talking about.
Civil disobedience became known first by the actions of Henry David Thoreau who was willing to go to jail in protest of governmental actions that he did not approve. Henry David Thoreau, Resistance to Civil Government (1849). Indeed, the definition of civil disobedience is defined as “a refusal to obey laws, pay taxes, etc: a nonviolent means of protesting or of attempting to achieve political goals”, Collins English Dictionary – Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition (2009), “the refusal of citizens to obey certain laws or pay taxes as a peaceful way to express disapproval of those laws or taxes”, Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary online (2013), “a form of political protest in which large numbers of people refuse to obey a law”, McMillan Dictionary (2013), and “refusal to obey governmental demands or commands especially as a nonviolent and usually collective means of forcing concessions from the government”, Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (2013).
Now, I know that Adam is aware of exactly what civil disobedience consists of, which is violating a law. In this case, he has discussed it in detail, including the recognition that the marchers would likely be arrested.
On CBS News DC.
Now there are two possibilities for Lanier’s statements. First, she’s an idiot who doesn’t know what civil disobedience actually means, or second, she knows exactly what it means and is lying to the public to control the spin. Either is not becoming.
- DCPD Chief – “Civil Disobedience” Doesn’t Mean What She Thinks it Means (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- In Support of Adam Kokesh and Civil Disobedience (anarchyforchristians.wordpress.com)
- D.C. Police Chief Laughs At Gun Marchers: ‘There’s A Very Good Chance We’ll Meet Them’ On The Bridge (libertycrier.com)
- Libertarian Activist Holding Peaceful Armed March in D.C., Police Chief says Actions Will Be Taken (patriotoftherepublic.wordpress.com)
- Gun-toting protesters could face legal hurdles in march on Washington (tv.msnbc.com)
- Armed march on Washington D.C. announced for July 4th: Is Adam Kokesh crazy, or courageous? (earththreats.com)